Tuesday, April 11, 2006

18,000


I marched, along with 18,000 others in San Antonio. It was a great experience, the crowd was festive and I did not witness any incidents. The evening news reported three arrests, but it was an otherwise peaceful protest. News coverage was (not surprisingly) twice as long in Spanish-speaking stations, and the local newspaper reported the march with a somewhat negative slant.

I think more accurate reports will emerge later today from all over the nation; as of right now, the larger cities reported crowds in the tens of thousands, with a record-high of half a million in Dallas this sunday. We made some signs and gave them out at the march, I think the winner was my "Siganme los Buenos", for which I was stoped by several people and asked to pose for pictures with them. I'm with my friend Shelley, a Sociology student on the picture you see here. Click to see all of My Pictures from yesterday.

Other signs we made were:

- Maria raises your kids. Is she legal?
-Yo Hablo Ingles, How's your Spanish?
-Ay!pod. (my favorite)
-Aliens R U.S.
-How did YOU get here?
-Yeh Haw! is NOT domestic policy.
-From Mexico to Palestine: NO WALLS

As I was driving home back from the march I thought of the perfect sign that I wish I had come up with earlier in the day:
"It's San Antonio, NOT St. Anthony, FOR A REASON". Need I add that it applies to Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco, Sacramento, El Paso, Amarillo, Monterrey, Santa Barbara...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home