Saturday, October 30, 2004

Memorias de mis putas tristes

Or memoirs of my sad whores, is the title of the latest fiction work by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, which I just read in a single seating! It has been a while since I do that with a book, and I must admit that I am very pleased I did. It was a good book, though it is not available in English yet, I recommend it to everyone.

Almost two weeks have passed and I am fulfilling my part of the deal, I hope you guys remember to come back and check my blog every now and then. I have been busy; working a lot and getting ready for grad-school! Filling out applications is a pain in the butt, and making sure everything is in order with the ten thousand requirements for each school is even worse.

Here are the candidates: University of British Columbia (guess who goes to school there), Simon Fraser University (both of them in Vancouver), The University of Texas at Austin and San Antonio, and Texas A&M University.

I regret not having worked hard enough as an undergrad to keep my GPA higher, an although it is too late to dwell on it, I can at least tell you that I have learned my lesson. Some of you are still in school, and I guess you won't listen (I don't blame you, I didn't listen either) but YOU SHOULD WORK YOU BUTT OFF AT SCHOOL IF YOU WANT TO GET SOMEWHERE! And yes, GPA does count, and you never know where life might take you, so just shut up and listen: STUDY HARDER!

That being said, I can go back to be my normal self. Things with Jenn are going great; we are trying to figure out the cheapest way to fly to Colombia to my sister's wedding, and this involves a lot of bartering and bargaining, trading frequent flyer miles here, buying frequent flier miles there, and it even includes a couple of car-washes to Jenn's dad's car if we end up using his miles.

She will be in Houston in early December, so I will probably begin a count down soon!...As my sister says "Que bonito es el Amort" (yes, with a T, although that is a misspell).

Ok, I think I need to go back to my Statement of Purpose (for my grad school applications), and I hope all of you are doing well. Tomorrow is Halloween, and I will go to a couple of clubs in Houston to take Black and White pictures; I'm very excited! I'll take my digital camera too, so I'll probably post some images here....though give me a few days, I'll be studying for the GRE, which I will take on November the 20th.

Oh, I took the THEA exam (the one required for the teacher certification, and I did well except on the math part...no surprises there) I think teaching will not be an option for the next six months, since in order to get the certificate I must take courses for one year, and I want to start my Master's in September. I'll post my grade when I get it (or maybe I wont!)