Friday, June 02, 2006

Here or There?

Today was a strange day. I had lunch with my sister's best friend, whom I had not seen in a year and a half. We caught up with each other's lives and shared a bit of advise about many things. Since we met at a restaurant in downtown Bogota, when she left, I walked around for several hours, taking a lot of great pictures, remembering old places and streets I had walked on several years ago.
An Andean music band was playing at a plaza, right by the street market, so I sat and listened for a while. You see, Andean music is not really 'Colombian', though it is heard often, mostly because of the influence of Peruvian and Ecuadorian migrants (or perhaps artists and hippie travelers), who set up small shops and sell Andean crafts in the city. I had a wonderful time, and realized that I do miss this town. (Strangely, it was the music that made me feel a bit nostalgic, which is odd, because as I said, it's not really considered something I, being Colombian, should long for).
While taking pictures, I felt like a tourist in my own city, and I found a striking resemblance between some scenes I had seen in Mexico City and what I was now witnessing in Bogota. Oddly enough, I never noticed those similarities while in Mexico; it was only here when I came to realize how similar our parks, plazas, and people are. (Obviously the colonial architecture is similar)....can you guess which were taken where?
I'll post some more once I'm back in San Antonio with a better internet connection.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home